Saturday, February 4, 2017

Flying Machines for the future

My fourth grade students are just finishing up their "Flying Machines for the Future" project.  This is another one that I love because it has SO MUCH all packaged together.

We discussed Leonardo Da Vinci and looked at his inventions (something they also do in their classroom) and talk about how he was a visionary, far beyond the technology of his time period.  They were tasked with creating their own flying machine for the future when our technology has advanced way beyond today - in the case flying in space in a time when every can buy a rocketship (like the family car). They needed to design a ship with 3 unique features that may or may not be visible from the outside and write an advertisement trying to sell their product to others. They needed a name, what fuel it runs on, and how fast it travels as well.



They absolutely love this project.  The only thing I want to tweak now that I have done this twice is have them write that rough draft for their ad completely with their plan when we start. That way, the initial excitement about something new is still there to drive them before they realize they're doing a writing assignment in art.  Most of them still do a great job, but I think I can snag a few more that kind of lose the drive later.


Great project to revisit value and form (I previously mentioned I am pushing this hard with a few of my grades that seem to really lack knowledge in those areas).



No comments:

Post a Comment