Saturday, February 4, 2017

Happy 2017!

The past 2 months have been FULL!  Got sick a total of 3 separate times in 2 months, which has never happened to me before! Felt like every time I kicked something, I caught something else.  Hoping that it's all out of my system now!

Time to catch up with what's going on in the art room!

My PreK just finished some winter tree scenes. They earned 10 marbles in their reward jar, so I had a reward day where we mixed colors straight on the covered table with our fingers! They are starting resist painted mittens soon.



The Kindergarten has completed their fish and I have finally transitioned them to whole class instruction, no more centers! We did a project on Kandinsky's concentric circles and are currently in the middle of creating mugs of hot cocoa - I was very impressed with their ability to create cylinders and the checker patterns this year.







Things keep pointing back to how valuable and effective it has been to pre-record all my lessons (Flipping my classroom).  It forces me to review every word I say, clip it down to what is needed and organize the information.  It's also very VERY easy to see what was lacking after a lesson that the students don't quite pick up because I'M watching it with them. I can go back and add a clip if I have time or I know to emphasize something before/after the video.  Either way, instruction is smoother, my ability to grow and self-reflect has drastically increased, and (NOT KIDDING) nearly ALL of those kids who constantly call out and interrupt while you're talking/instructing.... DEAD silent during the video.  More of them pay attention; yes, there are still some who don't, but I try to look on the bright side that at least the rest of the class can focus on instructions.  I can use proximity to encourage those few to watch instructions, or deal quietly with a bigger problem.  AND if a student comes late or didn't listen, I can sit them at the computer and replay the video (in part or whole) if I need to circulate to help the other students.

I'll save more student work for tomorrow! I am trying to build a really nice portfolio for my classroom and I am taking apart my old one today to start fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment