Thursday, November 17, 2016

Art Club Visual Journaling

I wanted to share some things about my after school art club.  It got canceled yesterday because I've been sick for a full week. I was disappointed I couldn't give them the next prompt because the next time we meet isn't until after the Thanksgiving holidays.
 

I do have a lot of students who come in independently during their free time to work quietly in the back while I teach other classes. Many of my students don't have access to art materials at home, so while I encourage them to work outside of club on their entries, I make it clear to them they can create parts of them in the art room where they have access to our materials. I show them alternative materials and methods to create art using everyday, recycled items - how to think outside the box.


Currently I have 18 5th grade students in my after school club. We meet once a week for an hour and our focus in on creating visual journals that explore different topics, ways of self-expression, art techniques/materials, and giving constructive feedback to each other.  


I took these pictures while we were having round table discussions about our latest entry "What are your biggest fears?"  I will usually give them 2-3 different prompt options and tell them if one of the prompts inspires them to do something a little different than it's asking, that's fine too. The prompts are supposed to do just that; prompt you to create an entry.


We've done different kinds of critiques. I've given them all a post-it note and asked them to go around and put theirs on the one that caught their attention the most.  We then came back together and examined the 2-3 entries that had the majority of the post-its and I asked them leading questions as to why they think those entries got the most. What made them so successful? Name some components.  


I've also chosen a few at random and just asked for "successes" and "suggestions" for each.  This time (which is what I have been leading up to) I had them discuss without me leading. They went around their table to each person's entry and discussed "successes" and "suggestions." It was great, I loved hearing the specific language they're starting to pick up on.

It also encourages them to push harder, see things from other perspectives, and learn to take constructive criticism as well as to give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment